Friday, November 13, 2015

Day 5 with Fay: Thinking it Through

Recently I was thumbing through my book A Woman’s Power and paused at the chapter titled “Supporting Each Other.” In the chapter, I wrote about an associate who contacted me for advice. After listening intently to her concerns, and knowing our every action starts with a thought, my response was a suggestion she write a goal she could read to herself every day, one that would settle her thinking on the positive. As I thought about that advice and writing this brief article for today’s post on grannyenchanted.com, I realized my advice fit perfectly for grandparenting/parenting.


Celebrated Author
Fay Klingler

So I wrote a goal for myself about what I wanted to accomplish as a grandparent.

I love our family—our children and grandchildren. I believe our children should have the opportunity to grow by rearing their own children. However, in times of need, I offer assistance—babysitting, food, transportation, advice (when asked for), and money (in a crisis). I pay attention to our children’s skills and gifts and continue to learn from them as we support each other. In addition, I plan activities to gather our family for fun times that bond the generations and provides a sense of security for the grandchildren. Periodically I also plan activities to share what I have learned with our grandchildren.

The act of thinking it through and writing it down was helpful, but I knew reading it every day and honestly pondering it would continue to benefit me. I wanted the reminder to be quick to read so I whittled it down to the following.

I love our family.
I assist in times of need.
I plan activities for our family to bond and learn.
We support each other.

Then I printed my simple reminder on cardstock, glued a thin magnet to the back, and placed it on the refrigerator by the stove where I would see it each day.




I took these ideas from my book The LDS Grandparents’ Idea Book, published by Deseret Book. http://www.amazon.com/LDS-Grandparents-Idea-Book-ebook/dp/B00HCN9FPE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1446501153&sr=8-3&keywords=fay+klingler


Fay A. Klingler is the author of the best-selling book The LDS Grandparents’ Idea Book, I Am Strong! I Am Smart! and many other books and articles (www.fayklingler.com). She can be contacted on her Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/FayKlingler.


  

Fay used our free greeting card printable for her affirmation:
  

No comments: